Thursday, May 6, 2010

6 weeks to go!

6 weeks until we meet #3! How exciting! I keep dreaming about birthing. EVERY night for the past week I wake up around 3:30am thinking about the baby.

I'm using the Hypnobabies curriculum, hoping to ensure a medication-free birth for our baby. It's very relaxing and the visualization is great. I'm on week 3 of 6 and am finding it helpful to relax in every day life.

The OB's office has convinced me to have an ultrasound at 36 weeks to determine how big she might be. I know it's not certain (the ultrasound with AJ was off by 1.5 pounds!) and big babies don't scare me. I think they scare my doctors, though. I told them, "It's not like I'm birthing a beach ball. My children are long and skinny, and I'll stretch. Plus babies' heads and shoulders do comress through the pelvis. I'm not planning on an epidural, so I won't be lying on my back, which is the worst position to birth in." I don't know if the OB believed me. He told me, "In some cases ignorance is bliss. But you need to make an informed decision in this case."

And I responded, "I know knowledge is power! But it really makes NO difference to me."

And the Ob ended up mentioning that my measurements have stabilized and I'm not quite as big percentage wise as I have been, so this might actually turn out in my favor. I ultimately consented. I hope I don't regret it. I told him that even if the "measurement" looks big, once I say I'm not having a c/s, I don't want to be pressured about it. He agreed. We'll see how it pans out.

But it's MY choice. Not his. I told him I'd do the ultrasound but I don't want to be pressured into a cesarean section. It's my body. My child. And I have the right to make an informed choice, regardless of protocol, procedure, or someone else's fear of a lawsuit.

I keep dreaming about midwives, but it's a little late in the game to switch providers. Not to mention that insurance doesn't support midwives as generously as they do OBs. Even though a midwife charges less, we would have to pay MORE. Doesn't that suck?????

We're still trying to convert our office into a nursery. I need to get moving on that, because something tells me I might not have the full 6 weeks left! Yikes!

In other news, the dog is walking around with her leash. Think she's trying to tell me something?

No comments:

Post a Comment