Monday, January 11, 2010

Gold rings in pigs snouts'

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without sense." Proverbs 11

For my daily devotions this month, I'm reading a proverb a day. This verse really jumped out at me this morning. It's made me contemplate beauty and the way our culture pursues youth and beauty obsessively. I am amazed at the high cost of going to salons, plastic surgeries, expensive hair and makeup products, teeth whiteners, wearing the latest styles. As a stay at home mom, I've been convicted that I do not need to buy new clothes constantly. There is nothing inherently wrong with having nice, classic clothes. This is coming from the girl who is proud of her Platinum Lane Bryant credit card. :) But I've pulled out my 7-year old maternity jeans, and they're still in pretty decent condition. I've bought some basic plain tees and am committed to not breaking our budget on 6 months of fashion here.

And yes, I'm going to the salon for a hair cut and highlights. It will feel so good every time I look in the mirror. It's worth it. I haven't had a haircut since Terry treated me to an upscale salon in Vegas 18 months ago! I'm so excited!

But I am cautioned that all this beauty without sense or discretion is pointless. I certainly don't want to be compared to a gold ring in a pig's snout. Terry and I have signed up for a class at church that we're really excited about next month. We're involved in a new small group from church. I'm trying to grow in wisdom and learn from my own, and others', mistakes. Our Utah pastor said that knowledge is learning from one's own mistakes, while wisdom is learning from someone else's. I really like that. I want to ask the experts for help and not just rely on what feels right or what I think we should do. I want godly wisdom, not worldly information. I want to see the big picture and how we fit and where we're going and see how far we've come.

I hope that I can better my family because of my actions. And I want to have an eminently useful and productive life--not just a vain, self-seeking moment to moment existence, like so many women pursue. That is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment